Monday, January 28, 2008

Sweet Things

Sweet Things
3585 California Street, San Francisco, CA
(415) 221-8583
sweetthings.com

Sweet Things American Style Desserts is located inside Cal-Mart in the Laurel Height district of San Francisco. Yes, I think I would have missed it if I didn't go into Cal-Mart.

The counter of Sweet Things is loaded with cakes, coffe cakes, cupcakes, cookies, bars, petite fours, etc etc. I am overwhelmed! I came here for cupcakes but now I'm confused! I want cupcakes, but man, everything looks good. After contemplating for awhile, I decided to stick with my plan...of getting cupcakes!

When it comes to going to cupcake shop I never been to before, I always start with a Red Velvet. Red Velvet is a red chocolate cupcake made with buttermilk and topped with cream cheese frosting. It sounds easy but very difficult to make. And as always, I will always get another cupcake of different flavor or of specialty with it.

Red Velvet - The cake was moist and VERY chocolatey. I think the amount of cream cheese frosting is just right, enough to cover every bite. The frosting was creamy yet light, and not overwhelmly sweet. What makes this cupcake even better is the way it looks...covered with chocolate sprinkles and a chocolate heart...this is a signature Red Velvet from Sweet Things.

There were so many choices, so in the end, I decided to get...
From top left clockwise: Mini Carrot Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting, Mini Black and White, Mini Vanilla and Mini Chocolate Cupcakes

Mini cupcakes are harder to make compared to regular sized ones. Since mini cupcake is smaller, baking time need to decrease in order for the cupcake to remain moist, and decorating it sure require some hand-eye coordination. Out of all these, the carrot one was the moistest.
The carrot flavor also tasted the best out of the rest. The chocolate one is delicioius too, very rich in chocolate flavors but too sweet for my taste. The vanilla one was okay, the flavor didn't really stand out comparatively.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've ever had red velvet... craving cupcakes now!

    ReplyDelete