Sunday, August 9, 2009

Old Fisherman's Grotto

39 Fishermans Wharf, Monterey, CA
(831) 375-4604
http://www.oldfishermansgrotto.com/

Oh! I heard so much good thing about their clam chowder and how the restaurant is one of the best around Monterey, CA. When my boyfriend and I was walking down the wharf, we were given numerous numbers of clam chowder samples. The wharf was like a clam chowder heaven. After many samples, I like two of the clam chowder samples there, one being Old Fisherman's Grotto.

After staring at sample platters and menu outside restaurants, my boyfriend and I decided to go into Old Fisherman's Grotto since the samples platter outside the restaurant look so attractive. Yes, visual is very important!

I wasn't too hungry after all the samples, so I ordered a salad while my boyfriend ordered some shrimps. Both our orders were from the specials, so they weren't listed on the regular menu.


Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato, Avocado and Grilled Shrimps Salad - Just like its title, mozzarella, tomato, avocada, asparagus and grilled shrimp.

This salad is not one of those healthy salad. It was cheesy good! The tomato were huge but it tasted very delicious with the cheese and shrimps. This is similar to italian style mozzarella and tomato salad. Very simple, so it is hard to go wrong. I find this to be very delicious but it has so much mozzarella that I couldn't finish it. Also it was a bit too oily.


Coconut Fried Shrimps and Macadamia Nuts Crusted Halibut - Coconut crusted shrimps. West coast halibut crusted with Macadamia nuts toppe with a tropical salsa made with mangoes and a citrus sauce. Plated with sweet potatoes and vegetables.

I took a few bite of this. I was surprised nothing was too oily since it is fried. I think the vegetables and sweet potatoes really help balance the fried food. The salsa was interesting but too sweet.

The food is pretty decent overall. The place definitely likes to fill the plate until full and has great presentation since they seem to like to use colorful ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment