Monday, March 21, 2011

Gold Fishes Cheese Crackers

I love eating gold fishes crackers. They are flavorful and make very nice snack. I can easily devour a whole pack. I have the sudden urge to make them one night after shopping at Daiso and saw a gold fish shaped and a whale shaped cookie cutters. When I got home, I didn't know where to start, and behold, I busted out my Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc cookbook! Inside, I found a recipe for soup crackers. To me, soup crackers and gold fishes crackers share almost the same texture. So, I took his recipe and added my own touch to it. I added shredded mozzarella cheese.
The gold fishes came out very crunchy and flavorful but not as flaky as I thought they would be. So the next day, I decided to change it up and browze around! I looked up "cheese cracker" in one of the food magazine website, Country Living, I checked up on ocassionally. I followed the recipe but decreased the salt just a teeny tiny bit since cheese contains salt already.


Cheddar Goldfish Crackers
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour

  • 4 tablespoon(s) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

  • 8 ounce(s) grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese

  • 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt

  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) fresh-ground pepper


  • Instruction:

  • Make the dough: Pulse the flour, butter, cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper together using a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Pulse in 3 to 4 tablespoons of water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and only enough so that the dough forms a ball and rides the blade. Remove, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minutes or up to 24 hours.

  • Bake the crackers: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper and set aside. Roll the dough out to 1/8th-inch thickness. Cut out as many crackers as possible using a 2-inch fish-shaped cutter. Place them 1 inch apart on the prepared baking pans. Bake until golden and crisp — 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough and scraps. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. 

  • Also, one thing the magazine did not mention is that, you can pick up the scrap from the leftover dough, and re-roll it each time and cut more crackers out of it. Dust a little flour onto the counter and rolling pin to help prevent stickiness.

    Make sure you have sufficient time to cut the little gold fishes out. To me, it was the longest part in making these crackers. But then again, you can use any size cutters you want, or you can simply just use a knife and go across the dough to make simple square ones.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment