Saturday, March 14, 2009

I'm in Love with a Jerk...Jerk Chicken, that is!

Back A Yard Caribbean American Grill
1189 Willow Road, Menlo Park, CA
(650) 323-4244
http://www.backayard.net/

I'm in love with a jerk! For real! I never had a jerk in my life before, and after one, I was in paradise!

Jerk, not a person who is naive of foolish, but meat that is marinaded in mixture of spices and cooked over flames in Jamaican cuisine, is so delicious!!!  Chef Simpson from Back A Yard definitely know how to marinade and cooked up some fabalous stuff!

The restaurant is located in a secluded neighborhood next to the 101 South freeway. From feets away, I can smell the grill! Upon entering the small restaurant, both my boyfriend and I were greeted by his wife at the counter, who had a really nice friendly smile by the way! The menu included items like jerk chicken, pork, salmon, steak and tofu, regular BBQ chicken, ribs and sausages, and fried catfish and shrimps. They are served as a meal. For the jerk meal, it comes with rice & beans, fried plantains and salad. Fthe BBQ meal, it comes with french fries, a bread roll and cole slaw. The menu also consists of many different caribbean sides like rice & beans, corn festivals (which is like fried bread), corn bread, cold slaw, macaroni and cheese plus more.

As recommended by our friends Kirk and Eilun, my boyfriend and I decided to try the jerk pork and a order of corn festivals, which consists of four pieces. We also ordered a order of jerk chicken because I am a fan of chicken!

Jerk Chicken - grilled spiced marinade chicken with plantain and rice & beans.

The jerk chicken was very flavorful. It has so many flavors that I can't even tell what kind of spices go into it. All I can say is, it is so, so good! I am not a fan of beans, but the rice and beans are very flavorful and delicious as well! The plantain was very sweet and not dried at all even though it is deep fried. The jerk pork was very flavorful also. The marinade tasted the same, but of course, it was pork instead of chicken. I actually prefer the chicken over the pork because the chicken was more tender to me.

I didn't take pictures of the corn festivals, but right when my boyfriend and I got the order, we ate one right away. They resemble sweet fried dough. Steamy and hot, I can see small pieces of grinded up corn inside. It tasted so good, I want to grab another one, but they are very filling.

I really enjoy the food from this place. Both times my boyfriends and I went, we ordered to go since the place was very tiny and was always full. Even though we got our order to go, it was still really tasty. The only thing I dislike about the jerks though, was that I seem to get quite thirsty after eating them. I am guessing it's because there are so many spices and salt added to the meat. But being thirsty is quite worth it for such a delicious meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment