Friday, January 21, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Cupcake with Non-Vegan Bailey Buttercream

Tonight I decided to make chocolate cupcakes. But then I felt lazy and didn't want to work with butter with a handheld mixer, so I went vegan. Most vegan cupcake recipes call for vegetable oil, which to me is easier to work with when I'm not using a stand mixer. The recipe was super fast and easy; I didn't even use a handheld mixer, I just use a spatula and my hand to mix it. The recipe makes super duper moist cupcakes. I mean it's so moist that it feels undercooked even though the toothpick comes out clean.
So making vegan cupcakes have nothing to do with me being vegan, since I do plan to make a buttercream with butter. Finally I met the inevitable...I need to make buttercream with a handheld mixer or a stand mixer. I finally opened my stand mixer from its box. I didn't want to use handheld mixer this time since I injured my wrist a few days ago. Anyhow, I love my stand mixer. It makes buttercream so fast and work-free.

Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
  • 1 cup water

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
  2. Sift together all dry ingredients. Mix in the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water to the dry ingredients until smooth.
  3. Divide into muffin pan evenly, and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment