Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Turtle Tower

5716 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA
(415) 221-9890
http://www.turtletowersf.com/

I hate how it's so sunny where I work and so cloudy once I get back home into the city. Every gloomy, cloudy or even hangover days (don't really experience much of those anymore)...I crave for a hot bowl of noodle soup, specifically a bowl of pho.

I know pho is rice noodle in Vietnamese but in my head, pho is the kind of rice noodle that is thin, but not as thin as vermicelli, and chewy but not as chewy as ramen. Pho reminds me of noodle you will find in a plate of Pad Thai. Little did I know, different pho restaurant uses different type and shape of rice noodle.

Turtle Tower's Pho Ga (Chicken Pho) was on the 7x7.com 2010 SF Big Eat List, so I knew I had to go try it. So on a windy cold San Francisco night, I went to Turtle Tower on Geary. They have another location in the Tenderloin if you are around there. I got to the restaurant around 8pm. Once I sat down at the restaurant, I ordered a Pho Ga right away. The place closes at 8:30pm, so be sure to order before then.

Pho Ga

Simple enough, it looks the type of chicken noodle from another restaurant near my house, which later I found out is also a Vietnamese noodle restaurant. The Pho Ga soup from Turtle Tower was very rich in chicken flavor. It tasted like it was made from a whole chicken, but with more salt or MSG because I left quite thirsty. The noodle was very smooth and chewy, definitely better than the other place I'd tried. They gave you a decent amount of chicken. The chicken was just like typical shredded chicken.

The restaurant is pretty clean, and the service was okay. The pho ga was pretty cheap, about $6 for a small and $7 for a large. The Pho Ga was good but I don't think I will specifically go back just for it when there is one near my house. If I am in the area though, I'll definitely stop by.

No comments:

Post a Comment