Thursday, January 28, 2010

Paradise Kabab House

2653 Broadway St, Redwood City, CA
(650) 306-0238
http://www.paradisekabab.com/

My coworkers and I went to Paradise Kabab House earlier this week for a farewell lunch. We went there around 11:40, because it usually fills up during lunch time. Upon entering, we were greeted by the owner and his wife. They were super nice and welcoming. They immediately gave us water and our menu, as well as some flat bread and greek salad. Everytime they look at us, they have a big smiles on their face; for some strange reasons, I felt very warm, like home.

My boss asked the owner what's popular and the owner gladly suggested a couple options. On top of that, he said he could change it if we did not like it later. We all ordered and he kept coming back to ask if we want more food or rice. When we were boxing our leftover, he asked us if we wanted more rice with that also.

I kept it simple by ordering Chicken Kabab with chicken breast (the house also has chicken thigh), and their Hot Persian Tea that comes with a piece of Baklava. I was surprised to see the owners themselves were doing the cooking as well as serving. Geez, this is some serious authentic home-style Persian cooking. When the food order came out, I had a taste of one of my coworkers' order of Kashk-e-Bademjun, and Lamb Shank Stew on top of my very own order.

Chicken Kabab (with chicken breast) - The chicken breast was marinated in some kind of spice

Even though it was breast meat, my chicken kabab was pretty tender. The grilled tomato that came with it was really juicy and good. The type of rice used was long and grainy, but it was very tasty. I think apart of it was cooked with some yellow spice and butter. Delicious!

Hot Persian Tea with Baklava - Freshly brew black barooti tea with rose water

I could distinctively tell the rose flavor because I drink rose tea at home very often. I never had barooti before but it tasted very similar to roobio tea I had. The combination is pretty soothing. The baklava looked very homemade. It looked very different from the ones I had before. This one did not consist of layers, but rather, more like phyllo dough covered the sweet cinnamon and mixed nuts. The baklava was very, very sweet, and chewy, but that's pretty typical.

Kashk-e-Bademjun - Grilled eggplant mixed with tahini, garlic, olive oil, spices garnished with mint and whey

Wow, this tasted like babakolush but grilled. It was also much thicker. The grilled flavor was strong and it lingered. I had to eat it with the flat bread, which suppressed the strong taste a bit. Otherwise, very flavorful.

Lamb Shank Stew - Lamb shank slow cooked in tomato onion, sundried lemon, split peas, saffron and cinnamon

I am never a fan of lamb because it is so gamey. But I was brave enough to try some, and to my surprise, it was not gamey at all. The saffron and the tomatoes definitely helped cover that gamey taste. The lamb was very, very tender. The meat comes off the bone really easily.

I was very satisfied with my lunch at Paradise Kabab House. Great food and phenomenal services. I would go back any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment