Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Dinning Room at the Ritz-Carlton

603 Stockton St, San Francisco, CA
(415) 296-7465
http://www.ritzcarltondiningroom.com/

I took my boyfriend here for his birthday dinner earlier the month. This place was rated pretty well overall in every catagory under opentable.com, thus, led me to choose this over other fine dinning classy restaurants.

The Dinning Room was located at the Ritz Carlton Hotel. It was a very dim restaurant. I could hardly see the true color of my food, but the dim lighting and smell of food stimulated my appetite very well. The noise level was mediocore, which was good because I did not want to dine in complete silence.The service was very, very nice--My water was always full, my finished plates were taken away, my utensils were changed before every single course.

The food was awesome! Gorgeous and elegant white plating presentations! I notice that The Dinning Room likes to pay attention not only to the look and taste of the food, but also the palette and feel of the food. For example, if the main food item on the plate is crunchy, there is always a gel-liked or softer item that is along side on the same plate to balance the mouth-feel. Thoughtful huh? Indeed!

We ordered the tasting menu, which consisted of seven courses and two desserts. Before the start of our courses though, the chef and kitchen gave us some mini starters to help stimulate our appetite and palette.

Grilled Shrimp with Boysenberry Gelee

The shrimp tasted very buttery, nothing too special. The boysenberry was interesting. It paired okay with the shrimp.

Poached Quail Egg with Caviar

This was my favorite plate of the night. The poached quail egg was very creamy and light. The caviar enhanced the taste of the quail egg but at the same time, I could taste both. Love it!



Sashimi of Kampachi with Yuzu Gelee and Blood Orange Gelee

It was supposed to be Blue Fin Tuna sashimi, which I looked forward to, but they changed it that night. I didn't really like the kampachi because the meat is a bit tougher even though it's thinnly sliced. The flavor of the fish was interested after combinedw with the gelee.

Trout with Squid Salad, Black Truffles, Carrot Ravioli and Black Truffle Sauce

This is my other favorite of the night. I expected the trout to be white, but it's a special one from somewhere...I forgot. It is so light yet so tasty! The carrot ravioli was very interesting too. It was like ricotta cheese texture but sweet! I like innovative creations like this.


Stonington Maine Sea Scallops with Shiitake Mushrooms

The scallop was okay. It was a little bit rough, guessing it was a bit overcooked I could taste a lot of butter! Other than that, it was very simple and tasted like others I'd tried.

Lobster with asparagus, red wine braised shortrib, sunchoke puree

The lobster was very yummy. Again, the meat was a bit rough, but it was flavorful considerng lobster is usually more subtle in taste.
Hot Foie Gras with Spiced Huckleberry Compote, Brioche, Pineapple Reduction with Longpepper, Vanilla Salt

Wow! This dish is sooooo good, but sooooo oily and fat! But it's sooooo good! I felt like I was eating duck fat, tender, juicy, tasty! The brioche was grilled and fried so it was super good too, especially when it absorbed all the sauce.

Quail with Ginger-Scented Asian Pear, Salsify, Apple Vinegar Reduction
Kobe Beef with Chanterelle Mushrooms, Roasted Potatoes, Sancho Pepper Reduction

The only time I ever had quail is Chinese style when they roast it or fry it. The one at The Dinning Room tasted similar but way tender. The ginger Asian pear made it even better. The Sancho pepper reduction goes great with it too.

Blood Orange and Chocolate Cake

One word: GOOD!

Assorted Homemade Candies from Candy Cart

Okay, I'm sold...I am a happy camper at The Dinning Room! At the end of the meal, they rolled out a candy cart filled with assorted candies and cookies! My smile gets bigger as the server put more pieces onto the plate. In addition to the variety, they all tasted very, very good!

I would definitely go back to this restaurant any time, but maybe after I save up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment