Sunday, May 23, 2010

Rick & Ann's Catering

2922 Domingo Ave, Berkeley, CA
(510) 649-0869

My friends, Tim and Agnes, planned a surprise engagement party for my other friends, Kirk and Ei-lun awhile ago, and lucky me, I got to attend. The night was filled with interesting conversations, fun game, great friends and food! The food Tim and Agnes ordered were from Rick & Ann's. The food looked amazing and many of the dishes tasted amazing as well!

They have many choices on their catering menu, and a lot of them are very pretty and classy in their presentation.

Duo Satay Platter: Chicken & Flank Steak - With two dips: spicy peanut and cilantro-jalapeno

I really like the chicken satay because it was very tender. The beef was a bit rough probably since it was oven roasted. I also really like the dips--both had some kicks to them.

Puff Pastry with Wild Mushroom and Gruyere

I love mushroom, but this dish was okay. The mushroom flavor didn't really stand out. I think what would make it better is if the mushroom could be a bit more saucey. The puff pastry was also not very flaky.

Stuffed Potato Platters with Sour Cream and Bacon Crumbles

I am not a fan of potato but this dish was finger-licking good! The little red potatoes roasted in olive oil, garlic, and rosemary, then stuffed with stuffing of choice, which in this case sour cream and bacon. I really like it because the potato wasn't too grainy or soft, so the sour cream and bacon gave it that contrast of creaminess and crunch. It definitely reminded me of baked potato but served cold.

Crostini with Rosemary-Fig Compote with Prosciutto and Shaved Manchego

Yummy! This is another one of my favorite. The rosemary-fig compote made this dish very interesting. Its sweetness toned down the saltiness of prosciutto and the cheese, so the flavor was just perfect. The crostini was toasted but it lost a bit of its toastiness.  

Orzo with Roasted Vegetables Salad - Orzo pasta with roasted eggplant, red and yellow peppers, caramelized red onion, fresh basil, pine nuts, and feta cheese in a fresh lemon vinaigrette.


I never really like bell peppers but for some reasons, they tasted so good with the cheese and orzo. I also like how refreshing this dish is. Everything is in bits and pieces so it was very interesting when chewing them together. You can taste all the ingredients distinctively.

Orecchiette with Prosciutto & Asparagus Salad - Little ear pasta salad with crispy prosciutto, asparagus, and ricotta salata in a lemony dressing

Okay, I love this salad. I like how the pasta was cooked perfectly. I like the crunch of the prosciutto, and I love the lemony dressing. This salad was a little spicy, so that was an extra plus for me! Despite the prosciutto and cheese, this salad was light and refreshing also.

Finger Biscuit Platter with Chicken Salad with Apples and Walnuts and Deviled Egg Salad with Red Bell Pepper
The finger bisuits were really cute, but they tasted just okay. The biscuit was pretty dry and breaky. The deviled egg salad was pretty tasteless. For some reasons, I couldn't taste the bell pepper at all. The chicken salad on the other hand was tastier, but the whole buttery biscuit flavor was just too strong to taste the chicken.
Thanks Tim and Agnes again for such great time and great food. It was super duper fun! Ask for Rick & Ann's, it is pretty nice because they have tons of items and choices to choose from, and a lot of the food are very tasty and unique!

No comments:

Post a Comment