Monday, May 10, 2010

Sunrise Deli & Cafe

2115 Irving St, San Francisco, CA
(415) 664-8210
http://www.sunrisedeli.net/

I was stuck finding dinner alone one night after a long tiring work day, so I decided to go order take out. First place came into my mind...that mediterranean place I always wanted to try on Irving. Upon entering Sunrise Deli & Cafe, a very strong aroma of roasting schwanma and frying falafel rushed toward my face. Smell really good but at the same time, I worried because food odor on myself is my number one pet-peeve.

The owners were super duper nice. I ordered a chicken kabob platter that comes with two sides. I asked a couple questions about the sides, and he let me sampled them. He also explained to me what they are. In the end, I ordered a chicken kabob platter with hummus and babaghanouj and one falafel (Yes, one! It's only 50 cents for one or $2.50 for half a dozen!)

When I got home, I found that my chicken was placed nicely on a bed of lettuce and the platter also came with a side of marinated olives and daikon radishes. Also, the owner gave me TWO falafel and only charged me the price of one. He must have felt bad that I have to eat alone.


Falafel - deep fried ground chickpeas with parsley, onions, garlic, and various spices

The falafel was super flavorful. I could definitely taste the spice. The only thing I don't like about it though was that it was still pretty oily when I got home. But then again, it was still steamy hot since freshly taken from the fryer, so maybe no time to drain out some of the oil.

 Chicken Kabob with Babghanouj (puree of grilled eggplant, parsley and tahina sauce) and Hummus (group chickpeas and tahina sauce), served with Pita Bread

The chicken was so, so juicy and tender! Again, they grilled it when I ordered it, so still steamy hot and good! The marinated olives and radish were too salty for me, I couldn't eat it by itself. The hummus was thick and creamy, but also too salty for me. The baghanouj was so good, it didn't possess that overly grilled bitter taste. It was smooth, creamy and not salty at all but still tasty.

Sunrise also sells Mediterranean desserts like baklava. They also have many Mediterranean grocery items and prepacked desserts. With the great service and fast (but not Panda Express fast), fresh and delicious food , I definitely will go back to Sunrise any time! Oh yes, I heard their fresh sesame ring bread is good. I haven't try it yet, but I should next time I go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment