Sunday, June 27, 2010

Delica

1Ferry Building, Shop #45, San Francisco, CA 94111
(415) 834-0344
www.delicasf.com

Delica is like the cleanest fast food and deli-liked place I'd ever been to. This little store is like a Japanese and European fusion deli, serving some of the prettiest, healthiest and freshest mini bites. Delica serves bentos, salads, fried items and deli items by boxes, pieces or by the pounds.

One of my favorite salad there is the Spinach and Sesame Salad. The spinach was boiled in dashi or Japanese fish stock, and then marinated with sesame oil and sesame seeds. The salad itself is very light and refreshing. I could eat a load of this.


I usually don't like fried food, especially fried potatoes with the exception of French fries. But when my friend Diana let me had a bite of her steamy hot Potato Croquette, gosh, I wish I could have gotten a few myself. These croquettes are made with Russet and Yukon gold potato and sauteed onion. They are lightly coated in batter and then fried to perfection. The onion added so much flavor to these little goodie. One bite--light crunchiness on the outside and sweet creaminess on the inside. So so good!

Another thing I tried at Delica was Tofu and Chicken Patty with Hijiki. At first I thought it was outrageous that a patty was priced at $4.25 a piece, not to mention it was served cold! But after a couple bite, boy, I guess it was worth it. The patty was pressed together with tofu, chicken, hijiki seaweed and carrots and then glazed with thick soy sauce. It wasn't as overly salty as it looked because the patty itself wasn't too salty and was very light and not overly meaty, so the soy sauce glaze was perfect. Also, it was meant to serve cold, otherwise they would have kept this under the hot lamp.
Another one of the delicious goodnesses I had at Delica was the Roast Beef Sushi. You heard me! I know huh? When I first saw it, I knew I had to try it. The sushi was made with hormone -free beef and then topped with baby arugula, shallots and rasdish. The sushi also contained wasabi within. Usually roast beefs are very salty, but like sushi this one was more bland thus more natural in the beef favor. It is pretty good, something definitely worth trying if you haven't done so before; but yes, I would not go head over heel for it.

Despite some of the fried items they have and with many simple and fresh items in store, I do feel like I was eating lighter and healthier at Delica. I think I would always stop by and order a little something from Delica when I am near. I think what Delica has to offer makes very good snack items since it is sold by pieces and pound.

No comments:

Post a Comment