Friday, August 27, 2010

Pisces California Cuisine

3414 Judah St, San Francisco, CA
(415) 564-2233
http://www.piscessf.com/

I get pretty tired and lazy on weeknights when I get home from work. So I don't have too much motivation to go far into the city for dinner a lot of the times. The first thing I would do is usually find something around the neighborhood or neighorhoods close by. So I was thrilled when I found out there is an Californian cuisine restaurant near me.

What caught my attention on their website though was the nice ingredients they use in their dishes and the money-saving price tag that goes with them. There are two different pre-fix menu, one costs $23 and one costs $33. Either one allows you to choose from a selection of food. Three courses pre-fix menu only costs $23 has selections like potato leek bisque, lobster ravioli, grilled hanger steak, etc or the three course menu $33, which I ordered, has selections like Cioppino, Ahi Tuna, Filet Mignon, etc.

Smoked Salmon Strudel with Asparagus, Mascarpone, Ikura and Strawberry Vinegrette

Pisces' presentation realy "wowed" me. It was amazing how they can dress up a salad with a spring roll-liked food item. The presentation was good to look at and the food was delicious! The smoked salmon was salty, so it was perfect with the mascapone, asparagus and simple spring lettuce mix. The Ikura added extra saltiness to the dish, which was a bit much for me, but it was perfect with the sweet and tangy strawberry vinegrette.
Chocolate Battered Soft Shell Crab with Fresh Mozzarella, Tomatoes & Basil

Again, awesome presentation! The crab was pretty heavy and so is the mozzarella, so I just wish there are more tomato to tone down at least the mozzarella and more lettuce to tone down the soft shell crab. Overall, it was just too oily and heavy for me. Maybe drain the oil from the crab a little more?

Crab Cioppino with Shrimp, Scallops, Mussels, Calamari, Fresh Fish and Tomato Broth

This is by far one of the best cioppino I had. The broth was rich and contains diced tomatoes, it tasted great with the juice from the seafood. The amount of seafood was very generous, especially the crab meat! The shrimps were a little too cooked but other than that, I would clean this plate!


Grilled Wild Ahi Tuna with Gnocchi, Edamame Beans, Oyster Mushrooms, Wasabi Emulsion & Dashi Sauce

The ahi tuna was okay. It was a little too grilled for me and too dry for me. I like mine just a little bit grilled so that just the outside is grilled and dry and inside still juicy and tender. I had gnocchi for the first time and it was delicious. The emulsion and dashi sauce definitely made the food on this plate taste great!

Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee
I love creme brulee! This one is pretty okay and creamy overall. THe caramel was not burnt. The egg was not overcooked. Nothing much to say about it other than delicious!
Warm Chocolate Brownie with Vanilla Gelato & Ganache Sauce

The warm chocolate brownie was too much for me. Super duper sweet and dense. It would go great with dark black coffee, which I did not order and would wish I order if I were to consume this whole piece of brownie.

I like Pisces. The ingredients were simple but nice when combined. The waiter was attentative. The ambiance is pretty good. The price for the kind of food you get is great! I think I would go back for more cioppino!

No comments:

Post a Comment