Saturday, February 13, 2010

2010 Big Eat SF List: #40 Taylor's Automatic Refresher, #58 4505 Meats, #96 Mitchell's, and #99 Hog Island Oyster Co

#40 Cheeseburger with Sweet Potat Fries at Taylor's Automatic Refresher 

When I got there around 1pm, the line was out the door and starte to wrap around the corner. Wowzer! This must be good. But I did not want to line up, so I just went back around 3pm. Lucky me, because after I purchased my order, a line started forming again...at 3pm! Anyhow, Taylor's cheeseburger contains a beef patty topped with sliced of American cheese, lettuce, pickles and secret sauce all in a toasted egg bun. The egg bun is something new to me. It was very fluffy and light. If I dump it in a pot of water, it will get soggy really fast. So the bun was real good because it soaked up all the beef juice, sauce and oil. Besides the buns, the whole burger tasted pretty similiar to In & Out because the secret sauce seems to be Thousand Island dressing-liked. The sweet potato fries were okay. It is thick, so it's cripsy exterior and mushy starchy interior. I didn't really find anything good or interesting about it. The sauce that came with it though is divine! I think it's Ranch dressing-liked but blended with some kind of herbs that tasted like cilantro.

#58 Chicharrones from 4505 Meats

I have no idea what chicharrones are before. And when my friend pointed them out to me, I thought they just look so like white, uncolored, oily and unhealthy pork grind! But don't let the appearance fool you because they are some mighty crunchy, sweet, salty and spicy, delicious and addictive goodness! 4505 Meats makes their chicharrones with natural pork, sea salt, cane sugar and the finest chiles. I have no idea if it's made from pork skin, but according to 4505 meats, the textures are results of their "unique cooking techniques using healthy rice bran oil." After reading that, I felt a little better pigging on the chicharrones.

#96 Ube Ice Cream from Mitchell's

I had taro ice cream before, but I never had Ube, which is purple yam, ice cream before. So I was excited. I expect it to taste like taro.Upon walking toward Mitchell's, there's already a crowd gathering inside and outside the shop. I went in and grab a number. Mitchell's has many unique traditional as well as unique tropical flavors. Mitchell also imports some of their exotic or tropical fruits from the Philippines, and use them in their ice cream as well as sorbets.

The ice cream is creamy but not heavy and airy like say, Ben & Jerry. The color of the Ube ice cream is so pretty! But it tastes nothing special. The ube ice cream doesn't taste like root vegetables. I couldn't tell what it tastes like or resembles either.


#99 Clam Chowder at Hog Island Oyster Co.

I came to Hog Island Oyster Co. around 2 something in the afternoon, and there is a long line. But I must be patience for their clam chowder. After my friend and I were seated, we ordered clam chowder and half a dozen of Kusshi oysters from Deep Bay, British Columbia. When the waitress brought us the clam chowder, I was surprised! The soup was not thick at all! It was like a cream colored broth with a pile of clams on top. I took a sip, and oh my gosh, it was filled with clam flavors as well as bacon! The clams still have their shells intact, so slurping them off the shells with the broth is so fun and good! This clam chowder inspired to make something similar!

No comments:

Post a Comment