Sunday, February 21, 2010

Saturday Lunch with Little Brother

Woke up super early on Saturday to run errands. It was still early when I got home, so I decided to go back out to get grocery to make lunch for both myself and my little brother. I was still very inspired by the clam chowder I had at Hog Island Co., so I decided to make clam chowder. Also, since I still have a lot of my white truffle pate left, I decided to make something that I can add that to and will go great with clam chowder. I thought of pizza!

I went to get some fresh clams, red potatoes, hot sausage links, white corn, and heavy cream for the clam chowder; and then some cremini mushrooms, roma tomatoes, tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese and pizza dough for the pizza. Oh! Guess what I found? Quail eggs! My mom always buy them when I was young, and I haven't had them for a long time. So I put them into my basket. I will add them to my calm chowder.

One of the ingredients that go really well with clam chowder is bacon. The smokey flavor of bacon goes great with the freshness of clams and creaminess of the chowder. Since I don't like bacon, I bought hot sausage links instead since they also have a smokey flavor to them, and the oil in them goes great in the chowder. Ask for the pizza, since I didn't want to wait for the dough to rise and such, I bought a prepacked one. If you can find a pizza joint that let you buy pizza dough, you should definitely take the advantage of that since they make the dough fresh.


Saturday lunch consisted of Hog Island Co inspired clams chowder, truffle and cremini pizza and white sangria.


Simmer the clams in enough water to cover it, and save the broth. The broth or the clam juice is going to be used again for the clam chowder. Add a little bit of lemon to kill the fishy taste. After that, add all the ingredients in and lastly, add some milk and cream. Oh, and I added quail egg!

For the pizza, I used Pillsbury's pizza dough. I laid out the dough and then spread a thin layer of white truffle pate on it. A little bit of truffle goes a long way. I love basil in pizza, but I don't want it to kill the taste of truffle, so I left it out. Then top the dough with a layer of tomato sauce, sliced roma tomato, sliced cremini mushroom and lastly, fresh mozarella! Oh, and drizzle a bit of olive oil! Viola!


Bake it in the 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, and you get aromatic delicious semi-home made pizza!


When everything's done, I poured myself a glass of white sangria I made a night before. Perfecto!

1 comment:

  1. mmmhhh everything looks so good and tastey! can you make me some and send it over =D jkjk thanks for sharing! now im going to try to make the pizza myself hope it turns out the same =]

    ReplyDelete