Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Strawberry Daifuku

Valentine's Day is just a couple days away, and every time I think about Valentine's Day, chocolate covered strawberries come into mind. I made that for my boyfriend last year, and I don't think I want to make that again this year. But I do want to make something with strawberries, because strawberries are so sweet and pretty!

I decided to try making strawberry daifuku because when you cut them open, there's a pretty surprise inside. I am not sure if my boyfriend will get some because I don't know if I will have time to make him some the day before Valentine's Day, but I'll try. But anyhow, I do have time tonight to experiment before I go to sleep. =P

Strawberry Daifuku

 Ingredients:

~ make 6 servings 
100g Mochiko/ Glutinous Rice Flour
2 tbsp Sugar
100ml Water
Katakuriko / Potato Starch (for dusting)
1/2 cup of Anko / Sweet Red Bean Paste  (chunky or non-chunky)
6 small to medium sized Strawberries

Instruction:

1. Wrap the anko or red bean paste around cleaned and steam-free strawberry.
2. Cover with saran wrap, and place the anko wrapped strawberries in the fridge.
3. Meanwhile, mix the sugar with the mochiko flour in a microwaveable bowl.
4. Add the water into the dry mixture, it should look a little watery, like light yogurt. Add more water to get to that consistency. It will get doughy when cooked.
5. Place saran wrap onto the bowl, and microwave for 5 minutes.
6. Scrap the cooked dough onto the potato starch while it is still hot.
7. Divide the dough into six balls.
8. Pat some potato starch onto your hand, and flatten one of the dough ball between your palm. Also use your fingers to stretch them out.
9. Place the strawberry in the center and wrap the dough around it by stretching the dough.
Tatah! A heart inside when you cut it open. You can always replace the anko or red bean with ice cream or chocolate, and the strawberries with fruits you like.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment