Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Best Veggie Burger Ever

Of course I want to believe that I can make the best veggie burger ever, but there is nothing, not even a real meat burger, can beat my love for The Plants Cafe veggie burger. It's so flavorful and unique, and thus, I would choose it over In and Out or any gourmet burger anytime. I also love it when I could get it on sliced wheat bread instead of a bun.
I was happy that Plants Cafe lists out the ingredients in the burger patty, and was even more happy when I found a recipe with the amount of ingredients needed and instructions, so I can make it myself! I did have some variation from the recipe though, for convinence.
The recipe and Plants Cafe uses red lentils, but I couldn't find it, so I just use regular. Also, I used canned beets instead of fresh ones. Lastly, I used lightly salted cashew instead of raw ones. I like the smoky flavor of roasted cashews better.
[Ingredients:: makes 4 patties]
3/8 cups of pre-soak lentils, 1/3 cups of pre-soak bulgar wheat, 1/3 cups of cashews, 1 cups of beets, 4oz of mushrooms, dash of salt, oil for cooking.
[Instruction]
Soak the lentils and bulgar wheat for at least 5 hours. Sauteed the mushrooms. Drain the liquid and blot dry the canned beets. In a food processor, chop the cashews until medium grain. With a food processor again, pulse all ingredients together until coarse. With hands, form mixture into 4 patties. Place patties on a plate with wax paper or saran wrap, and refridgerate for an hour before cooking. Add some oil to a frying pan, and place patty into the pan. Cook one side for 5 minutes and then flip, and cook the other side for 5 minutes. Turn heat off and serve with favorite buns.

The burger building process...

No comments:

Post a Comment